pfSense® software version 2.2.2 release is now available, bringing a number of bug fixes and a couple low-risk security updates that don’t apply to most users.
This release includes two low-risk security updates.
- FreeBSD-SA-15:09.ipv6: Denial of Service with IPv6 Router Advertisements. Where a system is using DHCPv6 WAN type, devices on the same broadcast domain as that WAN can send crafted packets causing the system to lose IPv6 Internet connectivity.
- FreeBSD-SA-15:06.openssl: Multiple OpenSSL vulnerabilities. Most aren’t applicable, and worst impact is denial of service.
Bug Fixes and Change List
As always, you can upgrade from any previous version straight to 2.2.2. For those already running any 2.2x version, this is a low risk upgrade. This is a high priority upgrade for those using IPsec on 2.2x versions. For those on 2.1.x or earlier versions, there are a number of significant changes which may impact you. Pay close attention to the 2.2 Upgrade Notes for the details.
pfSense software is Open Source
For those who wish to review the source code in full detail, the changes are all publicly available in three repositories on GitHub:
- Main repository - the web GUI, back end configuration code, and build tools.
- FreeBSD source - the source code, with patches of the FreeBSD base.
- FreeBSD ports - the FreeBSD ports used.
Downloads are available on the mirrors as usual.
Downloads for New Installs and Upgrades to Existing Firewalls – note that it is typically easier to use the auto-update functionality, then there is no need to download anything manually. Check the Firmware Updates page for details.
Supporting the Project
Our efforts are made possible by the support of our customers and the community. You can support our efforts via one or more of the following.
- Official appliances direct from the source. Our appliances are the fast, easy way to get up and running with a fully-optimized firewall.
- Commercial Support – Purchasing support from us provides you with direct access to Netgate Global Support.
- Professional Services – For more involved and complex projects outside the scope of support, our most senior engineers are available under professional services.