We are excited to announce the release of pfSense® software version 2.4.4-p2, now available for upgrades!
To see a complete list of changes and find more detail, see the Release Notes.
Due to the significant nature of the changes in 2.4.4 and later, warnings and error messages, particularly from PHP and package updates, are likely to occur during the upgrade process. In nearly all cases these errors are a harmless side effect of the changes between FreeBSD 11.1 and 11.2 and between PHP 5.6 and PHP 7.2.
Always take a backup of the firewall configuration prior to any major change to the firewall, such as an upgrade.
Do not upgrade packages before upgrading pfSense! Either remove all packages or leave the packages alone before running the update.
The upgrade will take several minutes to complete. The exact time varies based on download speed, hardware speed, and other factors such installed packages. Be patient during the upgrade and allow the firewall enough time to complete the entire process. After the update packages finish downloading it could take 10-20 minutes or more until the upgrade process ends. The firewall may reboot several times during the upgrade process. Monitor the upgrade from the firewall console for the most accurate view.
Consult the Upgrade Guide for additional information about performing upgrades to pfSense software.
Important Information about Upgrading and Installing pfSense software version 2.4.0 and later
If you have not yet upgraded to pfSense version 2.4.0 or later, read the information in the 2.4.0 Release Announcement before updating for important information that may impact the ability of a firewall to upgrade to pfSense version 2.4.x.
Free pfSense Gold Content
As a reminder, as of the previous release of pfSense 2.4.4, all former pfSense Gold content is now free for all!
- AutoConfigBackup is integrated into pfSense version 2.4.4 and free for all to use. It is no longer an add-on package. It is now located under Services > Auto Config Backup.
- All hangout videos are available free on YouTube, and future hangouts are being broadcast using YouTube Live.
- The pfSense Book is now available free on the Netgate website.
Upgrading to pfSense 2.4.4-RELEASE-p2
Updating from an earlier pfSense 2.4.x release to 2.4.4-RELEASE-p2 is possible via the usual methods:
From the GUI:
- Navigate to System > Update
- Set Branch to Latest stable version (2.4.x)
- Click Confirm to start the upgrade process
From the console or ssh:
- Select option 13 OR select option 8 and run
See Upgrade Troubleshooting for the most up-to-date information on working around upgrade issues.
If the update system does not offer an upgrade to 2.4.4-p2, or the upgrade will not proceed, take the following steps:
- Navigate to System > Updates
- Set Branch to Latest stable version
Refresh the repository configuration and upgrade script by running the following commands from the console or shell:
pkg-static clean -ay; pkg-static install -fy pkg pfSense-repo pfSense-upgrade
In some cases the repository information may need to be rewritten:
- Navigate to System > Updates
- Set the Branch to Latest Development Snapshots
- Wait for the page to refresh
- Set the Branch to Latest stable version
If the update still does not appear, run the commands above from the console or shell.
2.3.x EOL Reminder
The 2.3.x branch has passed its end of life (EOL) date and is no longer supported.
Upgrade to 2.4.x on compatible hardware as soon as possible. See pfSense® Release 2.3.x EOL Reminder for more information.
pfSense software is Open Source
For those who wish to review the source code in full detail, the changes are all publicly available in three repositories on GitHub:
- Main repository - the web GUI, back end configuration code, and build tools.
- FreeBSD source - the source code, with patches of the FreeBSD base.
- FreeBSD ports - the FreeBSD ports used.
Using the automatic update process is typically easier than reinstalling to upgrade. See the Upgrade Guide page for details.
Supporting the Project
Our efforts are made possible by the support of our customers and the community. You can support our efforts via one or more of the following.
- Official appliances direct from the source. Our appliances are the fast, easy way to get up and running with a fully-optimized firewall.
- Commercial Support – Purchasing support from us provides you with direct access to Netgate Global Support.
- Professional Services – For more involved and complex projects outside the scope of support, our most senior engineers are available under professional services.