In the United States, National Data Privacy Week takes place from January 24-28, 2023, with National Data Privacy Day falling on the last day of the week, Saturday, January 28, 2023. The focus on Data Privacy gives us the opportunity to discuss what Data Privacy means to us, as well as the difference between Data Privacy and Data Security.
The California Consumer Protection Act (CCPA) of 2018 is another piece of legislation that followed shortly after GDPR. The CCPA focuses on companies buying or selling consumer information, a practice we do not condone. Since 2018, other states have instituted privacy laws and regulations such as Chapter 603A of the Nevada Revised Statutes.
Data Security has a narrower scope concerning security software, multi-factor authentication, certificates, and keys. pfSense® Plus and TNSR® software are both built on the principles of Data Security.
pfSense Plus Software
Netgate Security Gateways with pfSense Plus software have a variety of built-in features that promote data security. Here are some examples of how pfSense Plus software can provide data security:
- Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) are probably the most recognizable form of data security, and pfSense Plus software is renowned for its VPN solutions, including OpenVPN (now with DCO), IPsec, and WireGuard.
- pfSense Plus software enables the use of appropriate firewall rules that only expose necessary services to the Internet. For example, as a best practice, the Default Deny rule blocks everything unless a separate rule otherwise allows it.
- Our Basic Firewall Configuration example shows how to lock down the LAN and DMZ outgoing rules.
- Our Technical Assistance Center (TAC) team can help with data security. Each Netgate Security Gateway with pfSense Plus software comes with TAC Lite, also known as Zero-to-Ping. This service not only gets you onto the Internet, it helps with data security by working to change the default settings to individualized login authentication. Higher levels of TAC, such as TAC Pro or TAC Enterprise are also available.
- Two of the more popular packages in pfSense Plus software perform Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Prevention Systems (IDS / IPS). These two packages are Snort and Surricata. Each of these packages is discussed in a recent blog post on our website.
- Another option for Data Security is to limit access to public services based on geographical location. pfSense Plus software does this through the GeoIP blocking package pfBlocker-NG.
- Changing VPN keys, certificates, and credentials based on industry standards is a best practice that many organizations have guidelines about. Our documentation has instructions on how to accomplish this as required.
Unlike Netgate Security Gateways with pfSense Plus software, Netgate Secure Routers with TNSR software are more about high-speed routing and less about firewall functions. However, TNSR software also provides many of the same features. For example:
- Very high throughput Access Control List (ACL) rules.
- Very high throughput VPN support using IPsec and WireGuard.
- Each TNSR software subscription comes with TAC Business Pro support included. Our TAC professionals are here to help you be successful with the Data Security on TNSR software.
- Changing VPN keys, certificates, and credentials based on industry standards, as stated above as a best practice.
While this is a US-based week focusing on Data Privacy, it is also a good time to reflect on the Data Security of your network. Whether you want secure, high-speed routing, or to strengthen the data security of your network, we’re here to help. Contact us for more information.