pfSense® software 2.2.1 release is now available, bringing a number of bug fixes and some security fixes.
- pfSense-SA-15_02.igmp: Integer overflow in IGMP protocol (FreeBSD-SA-15:04.igmp)
- pfSense-SA-15_03.webgui: Multiple XSS Vulnerabilities in the pfSense WebGUI
pfSense-SA-15_04.webgui: Arbitrary file deletion vulnerability in the pfSense WebGUI
- FreeBSD-EN-15:01.vt: vt(4) crash with improper ioctl parameters
- FreeBSD-EN-15:02.openssl: Update to include reliability fixes from OpenSSL
A note on the OpenSSL “FREAK” vulnerability:
- Does not affect the web server configuration on the firewall as it does not have export ciphers enabled.
- pfSense 2.2 already included OpenSSL 1.0.1k which addressed the client-side vulnerability.
- If packages include a web server or similar component, such as a proxy, an improper user configuration may be affected. Consult the package documentation or forum for details.
- Rules / NAT
- DNS Resolver
- Traffic Shaping
- Misc Binary/OS Changes
As always, you can upgrade from any previous version straight to 2.2.1. For those already running any 2.2 version, this is a low risk upgrade. For those on 2.1.x or earlier versions, there are a number of significant changes which may impact you. Pay close attention to the 2.2 Upgrade Notes for the details.
pfSense software is Open Source
For those who wish to review the source code in full detail, the changes are all publicly available in three repositories on GitHub:
- Main repository - the web GUI, back end configuration code, and build tools.
- FreeBSD source - the source code, with patches of the FreeBSD base.
- FreeBSD ports - the FreeBSD ports used.
Downloads are available on the mirrors as usual.
Downloads for New Installs and Upgrades to Existing Firewalls – note that it is typically easier to use the auto-update functionality, then there is no need to download anything manually. Check the Firmware Updates page for details.
Supporting the Project
Our efforts are made possible by the support of our customers and the community. You can support our efforts via one or more of the following.
- Official appliances direct from the source. Our appliances are the fast, easy way to get up and running with a fully-optimized firewall.
- Gold subscription – Immediate access to past hang out recordings as well as the latest version of the book after logging in to the members’ area.
- Commercial Support – Purchasing support from us provides you with direct access to Netgate Global Support.
- Professional Services – For more involved and complex projects outside the scope of support, our most senior engineers are available under professional services.