Sr. System Administrator
Netgate seeks a knowledgeable, talented, and industrious Sr. System Administrator who will work within the IT support team to ensure maximum performance of a high-traffic network infrastructure while maintaining system integrity and uncompromising performance. The ideal candidate for this position works well within the team, is efficient, and has an in-depth knowledge of modern IP networks, system administration, and a focus on high-level design, planning, configuration, and monitoring. If interested in this role, please submit your CV and salary requirements to HR@netgate.com
Department: IT Type: Full Time Location: Austin, Texas
System Administrator Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the installation, configuration, maintenance, and integrity of servers, clusters, desktop/laptop computers, networks (including Wifi), switching, telecommunications/VoIP, and peripheral IT system components such as printers, copiers, scanners, and audio/visual assets.
- Service requests from internal employees through a ticket system, responding to and completing requests in a timely manner.
- Provide direct server support for production and test hardware, OS, software, and operations issues.
- Collaborate with developers and other stakeholders to bring new features and services into production and ensure new environments meet requirements and conform to best practices.
- Real-time incident response for all critical service interruptions and outages as well as 24x7 on-call support for mission-critical operations.
- Monitor, coordinate, and conduct timely software installation and upgrades to operating systems and software packages to include, but are not limited to, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and Mac OS.
- Assist in the configuration, support, and maintenance of services such as, but not limited to, DNS, LDAP, and DHCP.
- Assist in maintaining VMware and Proxmox VE infrastructure.
- Ensure system security through access controls, backups, and firewalls.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Manage owned domain names.
- Ensures server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing system backups, data redundancy measures, and relevant elements of a disaster recovery plan.
- Monitor system and network performance and troubleshoot problems and outages when required.
- Engage in data network fault investigations.
- Secure network systems with policies that define and monitor access.
- Other duties as assigned.
System Administrator Requirements and Qualifications
- Three to five years of system administration experience, or a combination of education and experience commensurate with the requirements of the position.
- Operational knowledge of network and routing protocols.
- Operational knowledge of LINUX, and Windows Server operating systems.
- Operational knowledge of server virtualization and virtual desktop technologies.
- Operational knowledge of router configuration and programming.
- Operational knowledge of contemporary programming languages.
- Ability to adapt, integrate, and modify existing programs or vendor-supplied packaged programs for use with existing information systems.
- Ability to troubleshoot and perform routine maintenance on firewalls, routers, servers, computers, and peripheral equipment.
- Ability to communicate information to employees and the public in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability and desire to work as a member of a team.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure environments, preferably AWS and Azure.
- Release automation (Jenkins, etc), system administration, system configuration, and system debugging experience.
- Experience using scripting languages (Ruby, Python, etc).
- Experience with data center networking in a virtualized server environment (VMware, Proxmox VE) as well as real-time configuration management systems such as Saltstack, Ansible, or Puppet.
- Experience with containerization technology (i.e. Docker, Vagrant, Kubernetes).
- Strong understanding of system and networking concepts and troubleshooting techniques.
- Strong experience with SQL and MySQL.
- Additional certifications preferred, such as
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Experience with routing and switching technologies in data center networks.
- Demonstrated expertise and understanding of the TCP/IP protocol suite.
- Strong knowledge of firewall technologies, including installation, maintenance, and support for pfSense.
- Exposure to common network management and monitoring tools.
- Able to work non-traditional hours, in non-traditional settings as required by the business. This includes occasional weekends, evenings, and holidays as needed.
- Possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform well under pressure and have high attention to detail.
- Be a confident communicator.
- Work well independently and in team settings.
- Strong interpersonal and teaming skills - the ability to set and enforce processes and influence engineers who are not direct reports.
- Ability to operate in an entrepreneurial start-up environment where requirements may change frequently.
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Establish and maintain reliable Internet connectivity in a quiet home-office environment.
- Enter data into a computer workstation, operate standard office equipment and use a telephone.
- See and read a computer screen and printed matter with or without vision aids.
- Hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone.
- Stand, walk and bend over, reach overhead, grasp, push and move, lift and/or carry up to 25 pounds at waist height.