Netgate is pleased to announce that TNSR® software version 23.06 is now available. This is a regularly scheduled release of TNSR software, including additional hardware support, updates, and bug fixes.
TNSR software is a high-speed virtual router solution available as a turn-key secure router appliance from Netgate, as a Bare Metal Image (BMI) for installation on third-party Intel/AMD hardware, or as a cloud instance on Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure.
TNSR software has all of the features and performance expected from a high-end routing solution, including BGP and OSPF routing at speeds exceeding 100 Gbps. TNSR software also offers a RESTCONF API for orchestration as well as familiar CLI commands.
Key improvements added in TNSR Software Release 23.06 include:
- VPP 23.02: Netgate continues to track and maintain alignment with upstream updates, bug/crash fixes, stability fixes, and more so that users have access to the latest version of FD.io Vector Packet Processing.
- Clixon 6.1.0: Clixon 6.1.0 brings additional features and stability to TNSR software. TNSR software now provides Layer 2 and Layer 3 network abstraction for virtual machines, features such as switching, VPN, VXLAN, dynamic routing, and more. These features are achieved through added support for VPP’s VirtIO vhost-user backend.
- Added availability of Debian 11 packages to support the technical preview of support for Proxmox® VE.
- Added support for cryptographic operations on chained buffers to the WireGuard plugin in VPP. VPP’s WireGuard implementation was previously limited to handling packets smaller than 2KB. This change allows packets too large to fit in a single buffer to be transmitted and received on WireGuard tunnel interfaces.
- Added a CLI command and RPC to simplify creation of PKI keys and certificates. While this is intended to reduce the initial effort required to configure RESTCONF, it can also be used as a general purpose tool to create certificates for other purposes.
- Added CLI alias commands such as show running-config and write to align more closely with industry-styled commands.
- Fixed interrupt and adaptive modes on Intel i225/i226 2.5G and x550 1G/10G interfaces. This required patches to DPDK igc and ixgbe driver code which have been shared with the upstream community.
- Enhanced integration of TNSR host interface and route configuration with netplan on Ubuntu platforms. TNSR will now import netplan configuration created by the ISO installer or by cloud-init so it can be managed using the CLI or RESTCONF API.
- Multiple bug fixes.
For the full list of new features and bug fixes, please review our release notes.
As mentioned in our previous release blog, we have added an experimental webGUI. TNSR software release 23.06 is the second TNSR software release to include this webGUI.