Update 22 March 2021
WireGuard has been removed from daily snapshots of pfSense Plus 21.02.2 / pfSense CE 2.5.1 as of March 20, 2021 beginning with snapshot timestamp 20210320-0824. WireGuard has also been removed from pfSense Plus 21.05 / pfSense CE 2.6.0 beginning with snapshot timestamp 20210320-0100. To learn more, please review our blog.
We are pleased to announce that today, release candidate (RC) builds for pfSense® Plus 21.02.2 and pfSense CE 2.5.1 are available from Netgate® for testing. The pfSense community has always been a big part of the success of the pfSense Project. We’d like to invite you to test drive these new releases. This is an opportunity for you to contribute to the project - without having to write a single line of code. Simply download, test, and share your feedback on these pre-release versions of pfSense software.
For existing installs - System > Update and pick “Next Release Candidate”.
For fresh installs, download the installer here.
If you have a problem:
- Check to see if that problem may already exist on Redmine
- Check for an existing thread in the Release Candidate section on the Netgate forum, and reply there.
- If no thread exists, please create a new thread
More than 50 updates have been included in this release across these functional areas:
WireGuardNot available on snapshots after 20 March 2021. See update above.
- Certificate handling
- DNS resolver
Reminder before upgrading:
- Create a backup before you upgrade, or a snapshot if it’s a VM
- DO NOT update packages before upgrading! Either remove all packages, or update packages AFTER the upgrade.
- The upgrade could take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Do not remove power to your firewall while the upgrade is in progress.
- Monitor the upgrade from the firewall console for the most accurate view of progress
- Remember, these are candidate snapshots, not a finished product. It could be a bumpy ride. While many fixes have been included, there are still more to come.
Again, thank you for any feedback along the way to help us towards speedy and thoroughly tested releases!