Virtual routers, or vRouters, replicate hardware-based Layer 3 IP routing in software. Traditionally, router functionality would have required proprietary and expensive ASIC/FPGA-based hardware for any significant performance.
Now the game has changed. vRouters, a form of Network Functions Virtualization (NFV), enables the functions of traditional hardware-based network appliances to be performed in software running on standard Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) hardware. The benefits are compelling: vastly reduced hardware costs, elastic performance scale, and greatly improved hardware interoperability - breaking down longstanding, vendor proprietary hardware lock-in.
Of course, vRouters have been around for years. But performance claims have fallen well short of the mark when subjected to real world traffic.
TNSR Changes the Game
That all changes with TNSR. True 10 Gbps throughput - measured as 64 byte packets (84 bytes on the wire) or 14,880,952 packets per second - on a single Xeon-class processor core is here. The elastic expansion of cores easily accommodates large-scale routing needs to 100 Gbps and beyond - serving the needs of enterprise and carrier class networks alike - and with industry-leading price performance and TCO.
Advanced routing, stateful firewall, NAT, and VPN features are provided - now with no compromise in performance or reliability.
TNSR is the first vRouter to fully integrate DPDK, VPP, CLIXON, StrongSwan and Free Range Routing into a commercially viable offering.
TNSR’s RESTful API also enables swift and straightforward insertion into existing network management infrastructure - slashing the operational costs of ongoing adds, moves and changes through modern orchestration.
TNSR as a vRouter can address a wide variety of router-based applications including:
- Traffic engineering
- Port Mirroring
- BGP routing
- Network Functions Virtualization (NFV)
- Virtual Customer Edge (Service Provider Virtual CE)
- True 10 Gbps throughput on a single Xeon-class processor core
- Elastic expansion of cores easily accommodates large-scale routing needs to 100 Gbps and beyond
- Advanced routing, stateful firewall, NAT, and VPN features
- Fully integrated open-source software stack including DPDK, VPP, CLIXON, StrongSwan and Free Range Routing
- RESTful API enables modern orchestration through existing network management infrastructure