Netgate® TNSR™ Release 19.08 Drives VPP Readiness for Enterprise and Carrier Class Router and Firewall Deployments
September 03, 2019
Adds High-Performance Router and Firewall Flexibility, Scale, and Resilience
September 3, 2019 (AUSTIN, TX) Netgate, the leading provider of open-source secure networking solutions, today announced its latest version of TNSR software, Release 19.08. TNSR is advanced firewall, router, and VPN software with breakthrough price-performance, management, and service expansion flexibility. Built on FD.io’s Vector Packet Processing (VPP), of which Netgate is a leading contributor, TNSR delivers extraordinary packet processing performance in software - enabling large enterprises and service providers to scale up and out far less expensively than with legacy brand solutions.
TNSR Release 19.08 delivers increased commercial robustness around its powerful routing and firewall feature set. Notable feature additions include:
- Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) - a key Interior Gateway Protocol (IGP) used to route traffic within large autonomous system (AS) networks - and which provides much faster route convergence time
- Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) - a standards-based alternative to the proprietary Hot Standby Routing Protocol (HSRP) that enables routers to coordinate control of IP addresses between multiple nodes acting as a single “virtual” router cluster - ensuring the transparent reflow of packets to the highest election-based backup router
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) enhancements - which significantly strengthen dynamic routing stability beyond VPP and Free Range Routing (FRR) project software
- Support for very large ACL rulesets, e.g. 100,000 ACLs, in software - far surpassing hardware-based solutions limited by Ternary Content Addressable Memory (TCAM) exhaustion
- Host ACL rule support for any protocol
- Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) - enabling TNSR’s router capabilities to be monitored by traditional Network Monitoring System (NMS) and other SNMP-based management platforms, where customers are not yet prepared to utilize TNSR’s REST API for automated operational management and monitoring
“Release 19.08 marks a significant progression against customer feature demand,” said Jim Thompson, Netgate CTO. “The word continues to spread about VPP’s game-changing packet processing speed. Now we are driving TNSR toward easier integration into legacy network environments, support for legacy protocols, elegant failover, and traffic handling flexibility. That’s an encouraging sign for us at Netgate (as well as for FD.io at large), as when you need to address operational deployment ease and scale, you know you’re moving up the S-curve.”
TNSR is available for deployment on Netgate’s SG-5100, XG-1537, XG-1541 appliances; as a bare metal image for non-Netgate appliances and virtual machines; as software instances on AWS and Microsoft Azure Marketplaces; and from AWS Solution Providers and Microsoft Azure partners.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a free trial version of the software. To learn more, visit tnsr.com. For additional questions, contact Netgate at +1 (512) 646-4100, or email@example.com.
Netgate is dedicated to developing and providing secure networking solutions to businesses, government and educational institutions around the world. pfSense® - the world’s leading open-source firewall - is actively developed by Netgate, with an installed base of over one million active installs. TNSR extends the company’s open-source leadership and expertise into high-performance secure networking – capable of delivering compelling value at a fraction of the cost of proprietary solutions.
Netgate is a registered trademark of Rubicon Communications in the United States. pfSense is a registered trademark of Electric Sheep Fencing, LLC in the United States and other countries.
All other brands or product names are the property of their respective holders.