pfSense Plus Product Marketing Manager
Reporting to CMO
Netgate is an open-source driven secure networking company that provides high-performance and affordable appliance and software-based firewall, VPN, and routing solutions for the home, office, and cloud. Our secure networking solutions, pfSense® Plus and TNSR® connect and protect homes, businesses in every vertical, K-12 and university educational institutions, local, state, federal government agencies and service providers all over the world. The company was formed in 2004, has over 90 employees residing on four continents, and is headquartered in Austin, Texas.
Netgate is looking for a Product Marketing Manager (PMM) to drive our core secure networking product, pfSense Plus, to the next level of product success. pfSense Plus is Netgate’s new productized version of pfSense, the world’s leading open-source firewall / router / VPN software solution. The goal is to drive software annual recurring revenue - both in the public cloud and on premises - through strong competitive positioning, new features, customer requirements gathering and compelling marketing. In addition to a strong premises footprint, the product also has thousands of users across Amazon and Azure marketplaces. More cloud use case, solution, and awareness is needed from a product marketing leader who is steeped not only in the field of secure networking, but software annual recurring revenue growth.
The PMM will work closely with company leadership, Netgate’s pfSense Plus development team (which ultimately drives the product roadmap, release planning and product development / delivery execution, and the full marketing team.
The PMM must possess depth of knowledge around secure networking products and technologies, a strong marketing mind, and an innate drive to achieve meaningful business results
Our ideal candidate:
- Is steeped in secure networking product and technology knowledge, e.g., routers, firewalls, VPNs, appliances, virtual machines, premises and cloud networking, use cases, competitive landscape, pricing, etc.
- Is technically strong, but operates as a marketer, fully cognizant of and experienced with the process of identifying market segments, buyer personas, buyer journeys, content marketing, etc.
- Is able to work effectively across prospects, customers, marketing, sales and customer support for full product life cycle success
- Has a strong understanding of go-to-market execution and business development discovery within Amazon and Azure marketplaces
- An ability to generate content marketing ideas and written / video form copy for final packaging into attractive, compelling assets by the marketing team
- Very strong communication skills especially with respect to ideation, problem/solution identification, project planning and results reporting
- Strong attention to detail. Our business is fast moving, broad and technical. Details really matter.
- Ability to work as a strong team member - even if remote via Slack, video conferencing, email, etc.
- A proactive, ‘lean forward’ mindset
- An ability to think broadly, but execute specifically
- A desire to grow into a more comprehensive marketing capacity based on personal desire, value-add to the marketing department, and ever-evolving company needs
- Drive market adoption of pfSense Plus and ensuing ARR and appliance sales
- Accelerate and expand pfSense Plus cloud revenue
- Drive and collaborate with the marketing team to execute go-to-market strategies and campaigns that achieve the above
- Deeply understand buyer personas for increased competitive positioning and target market success
- 5+ years of secure networking product marketing experience
- Strong knowledge of router, firewall and VPN use cases, markets, competitors
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant technical space desirable
- MBA desirable
- Outward-bound mentality, driven to connect with prospects, customers, and industry influencers
- Comfortable with marketing automation and CRM tooling, Hubspot ideal
- Ability to communicate and thrive in an environment where Slack and Zoom are dominant forms of communication
- Solid interpersonal skills including verbal/written communication, listening, and ‘selling’ with high attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated contributor who works well as an individual and within a team environment
- Proven organizing skills; capacity to manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously, work in cross-functional teams and communicate with all levels of management
- Solid strategic, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Enjoys a fast-paced environment and works well under tight deadlines
- Greater Austin, Texas area