Multi-Link PPP (MP/MLPPP)
Multilink PPP (MP or MLPPP) is included in pfSense and is known to work
with a number of providers.
A simple MLPPP connection requires only two tasks:
- Create a PPPoE group with member interfaces
- Assign PPPoEx to WAN
Create a PPPoE group with member interfaces
- Navigate to Interfaces > (assign) on the PPPs tab
- Click + to create a new PPP connection
- Choose PPPoE for Link Type
- Select multiple interfaces using the ctrl key for Link
- Make other changes on this page as required by the ISP (username,
- Click Save
Assign PPPoEx to WAN
- Navigate to Interfaces > (assign)
- Choose the new PPPOE interface a the desired interface (usually WAN),
or click + to add a new interface and select it there.
- Click Save
- Click Apply Changes
Using VLANs with MLPPP
When creating a PPPoE group, VLANs may be used rather than physical
interfaces to connect multiple modems to pfSense. This makes sense
particularly in larger setups where it is neither practical nor
necessary to install and allocate a physical NIC into pfSense for every
This approach requires creating the necessary VLAN interfaces in pfSense
and selecting those as member interfaces when creating the PPPOE
connection in PPPs.
- Disabling Scrub (System > Advanced, Firewall/NAT tab) is
known to create problems on some systems.
- Changes made on the PPPs page do not take effect until Apply
Changes is clicked on the interface configuration page, e.g.
Interfaces > WAN. Therefore, when making changes to PPPs, go
first to Interfaces > WAN and click Save. Make changes on
PPPs and click Save there, then go back to Interfaces >
WAN and click Apply Changes.