Location: Austin, TX
Netgate seeks a knowledgeable, talented, and industrious network engineer who will work within the IT support team to ensure maximum performance of a high traffic network infrastructure while maintaining system integrity. Internal networks include computer, voice, and customer-facing firewalls. The ideal candidate for this position of network engineer works well within the team, is efficient, and has an in-depth knowledge of modern IP networks with a focus on high-level design, planning, configuration, and monitoring.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Day-to-day management of all core and access layer networks
- Incident response for all critical service interruptions and outages
- Responsible for overall network architecture (including test and production), design and support, recommending updates and changes as technology evolves, with the goal of maintaining a state-of-the-art, high performing, and highly available connectivity to all Netgate personnel and customers
- Determine network bandwidth needs and recommend measures to meet those requirements
- Assist in the configuration and maintenance of DNS servers
- Assist in maintaining VMware infrastructure
- Maintain firewall and manage network security functions
- Define, document, and enforce system standards
- Manage owned domain names
- Deploy, configure and support LANs, WANs, routers, switches, wireless networks, servers, UPSs, and other hardware as required
- Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problems and outages
- Schedule updates and upgrades
- Engage in data network fault investigations
- Secure network systems with policies that define and monitor access
Requirements and Desired Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in network administration, information technology, or computer science preferred
- Previous experience in IT, security or systems support, or network administrator positions preferred
- Additional certifications preferred, such as
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Experience with routing and switching technologies in datacenter networks
- Demonstrated expertise and understanding of the TCP/IP protocol suite
- Strong knowledge of firewall technologies
- Working knowledge of Layer 3 routing protocols: BGP, EIGRP, etc
- Working knowledge of AWS networking design and supporting, including Direct Connect, VPC, ELB, security groups, NACLs, etc
- Experience with data center networking in a virtualized server environment (VMware) as well as real-time configuration management system such as Saltstack, Ansible, or Puppet
- Exposure to common network management and monitoring tools
- Experience with designing networks in multi-data center environments with failover and high availability standards
- Experience with Linux/FreeBSD command line environments
- Able to work non-traditional hours, in non-traditional settings. This includes occasional weekends, evenings, and holidays
- Works well independently and in team settings
- Possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to perform well under pressure and have high attention to detail
- Be a confident communicator
- Work well independently and in team settings
Employees in this position must have the ability to:
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Establish and maintain reliable Internet connectivity in a home-office environment.
- Enter data into a computer workstation, operate standard office equipment and use a telephone.
- See and read a computer screen and printed matter with or without vision aids.
- Hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone.
- Stand, walk and bend over, reaching overhead, grasp, push and move, lift and/or carry up to 25 pounds at waist height.